Sometimes you just need some comfort food. I love a good cheesy chicken dish, but I don’t so much love the fat and calories that come with it. So tonight I attempted to lighten this dish up a bit, and it seemed to work well. At least the two people who ate it enjoyed it, one of those people being me. So I consider it a success.
The ingredients: 1 lb chicken breast, shredded (I like thin sliced, cooks faster); about 1 head of fresh broccoli or a 9 oz package of frozen broccoli, chopped;1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt; 2 12 oz boxes of GF cream of chicken condensed soup (I like Pacific Foods brand-tastes like Campbell’s and is much healthier); 1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar; salt and pepper; risotto (or rice of choice).
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 or oval casserole dish with cooking spray.
Combine soup, Greek yogurt, broccoli, cheese, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Meanwhile, cook chicken and shred, then add to bowl.
Pour into casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
Cook risotto. For this meal, I just cooked 1 cup of risotto in 3 cups of water (1 cup at a time until liquid is absorbed) and added a little s and p.
You could use any other type of rice or even pasta for this, but I’ll take any excuse to eat risotto!
When casserole is finished cooking, let sit for about 5 minutes before serving. I found this allows it to cool slightly as the sauce thickens up just a bit.
To serve, scoop a spoonful of casserole on top of risotto, and enjoy!
Doesn’t that look comforting? It was delicious and even more enjoyable knowing my pants wouldn’t be too tight in the morning!
Full Recipe (without pictures)
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 head of broccoli or 9 oz frozen package, chopped
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar
- 2 12 oz packages of GF cream of chicken soup
- 1 Cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Cup risotto
- 3 Cups water
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9×13 or oval casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine broccoli, cheese, soup, Greek yogurt, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Cook chicken, shred, add to bowl.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cook risotto: Add risotto and 1 cup of water to pot, cook until water is absorbed. Continue adding 1 cup of water at a time until all is absorbed. Fluff, add salt and pepper to taste.