Garlic. Basil. Pine nuts. I LOVE all of the flavors of pesto! Throw in some GF pasta, chicken, and broccoli and you have yourself a delicious meal in about 30 minutes!
Start by heating about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Sear chicken on both sides until no longer pink on the outside, but not quite done on the inside.
While chicken is searing, spray a 9×13 or oval casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon about 1/2 of a small jar of pesto (I like Classico’s 8 oz jar of basil pesto) to cover bottom of casserole dish. GF side note: If buying a packet of pesto mix, be sure to read the label. Some packets are NOT GF, which is why I like Classico’s jar…nothing to worry about! Of course you can always make your own, and if you do then please share your recipe!
After chicken is seared, place on top of pesto in casserole dish.
Then spoon the remaining jar of pesto on top of the chicken.
Top with about 1/4 cup of cheese (I used Mozzarella because it’s what we had, Parmesan would be great too!).
Place in 375 degree oven for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Switch oven to broiler and broil for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly on top.
While chicken is cooking in the oven, prepare GF pasta according to package directions. Drain.
I added broccoli to this meal so we’d have a green veggie. My favorite way to cook broccoli is to roast it: place on roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pop in oven for about 15 minutes. In this case, I roasted the broccoli at the same temperate as the chicken and it turned out perfectly.
To serve, place a spoonful of pasta on plate, top with 1 chicken breast (be sure to get a couple of spoonfuls of the pesto), and place broccoli around chicken on top of pasta. Sprinkle with more cheese if desired.
Word to the wise: be sure to have some mints or gum on hand, unless you’re planning to ward off vampires. This meal is super garlicky, which makes it super yummy! Enjoy!
Full Recipe (without pictures)
- 1 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 8 oz GF pasta
- 8 oz pesto
- 8 oz broccoli florets
- 1/4 C Italian cheese of choice (I used Mozzarella and a reduced fat Italian cheese blend)
Steps (for chicken):
- Heat olive oil over medium heat
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray 9×13 or oval casserole dish with cooking spray
- Season chicken with s & p and Italian seasoning
- Sear chicken on both sides until no longer pink on outside but not quite done on the inside
- While chicken is cooking, spoon 1/2 of pesto onto bottom of casserole dish
- Place chicken on top of pesto
- Spoon remaining pesto on top of chicken
- Sprinkle with 1/4 C cheese
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Switch oven to broiler, and broil for about 3-5 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly
Steps (for broccoli):
- Place broccoli on roasting pan
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Cook for 15 minutes at 375 degrees (put in at same time as chicken)
Cook pasta according to package directions. Serve by placing 1 chicken breast on top of pasta, place broccoli around chicken. Sprinkle with more cheese if desired.