I didn’t discover quinoa until after I began eating a GF diet, and now I have to stop myself from making it too much! There are so many different ways to prepare quinoa and so far I haven’t met a quinoa dish I didn’t like!
Tonight I introduced shredded sweet potatoes to quinoa, which turned out to be a wonderfully unique side! The added garlic, onions, and cilantro make this dish even more delicious!
What you’ll need:
Quinoa, 2 good sized sweet potatoes, Parmesan, roughly chopped cilantro, eggs, minced garlic, diced onion, oregano, salt, allspice, breadcrumbs, cooking spray
Prepare quinoa: add 1 cup of quinoa (rinsed) to 1 1/4 cup boiling water. Turn heat down slightly, simmer for about 12 minutes. Fluff. Remove from heat and cool.
Beginning stages of cooking quinoa:
What cooked quinoa looks like:
While quinoa is cooking, peel and shred sweet potatoes. I used a cheese grater for shredding, but you could also use a food processor. If you’re smarter than I am then you’ll have done all of this prep work over the week end to save time on your week day night!
It should like this (below) when done. Kind of like shredded cheddar.
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray (or drizzle with oil, I use cooking spray to cut down the calories). Cook minced onion and garlic for about 2-3 minutes. Add shredded sweet potatoes to skillet and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Meanwhile, make your GF breadcrumbs by tossing 2 slices of GF bread into the food processor. Process until bread becomes fine crumbs.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and cilantro.
When cool, add quinoa and onion/garlic/sweet potato mixture. Add oregano, allspice, and salt. Stir until combined.
Re-spray large skillet with cooking spray. Add entire bowl of ingredients back to skillet, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until most of quinoa is browned on the outside and almost crispy.
This would be great and completely filling on its own, but it’s fabulous paired with pork (especially Easy Peasy Pork Tenderloin)!
Full Recipe (w/out pictures)
- 1 C quinoa
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 1/2 C Parmesan
- 1/2 C GF breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 t allspice
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t oregano
- Cooking spray
- Add quinoa to 1 1/4 C boiling water. Let simmer for about 12 minutes, fluff, remove from heat
- Peel and shred sweet potatoes
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray and cook onion and garlic for about 2-3 minutes
- Add shredded sweet potatoes to skillet, continue cooking for another 3 minutes, remove from heat
- Combine eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and cilantro in large bowl
- When cool, add quinoa and onion/garlic/sweet potato mixture. Add spices, stir to combine.
- Re-spray skillet with cooking spray. Add entire bowl back into skillet.
- Cook about 10 minutes or until quinoa begins to brown