My sweet, southern husband LOVES fried chicken. I do too, except it’s quite a challenge to find GF fried chicken out there!
I started making this recipe when we first got married, about 3 years ago. Ever since then, Britt asks for “his chicken” on a semi-regular basis (hence the name of this recipe). The best part about this chicken (besides the fabulous flavor) is that it’s baked, not fried! So no oil and less fat!
This recipe is adapted from Rachael Ray’s Honey Nut Chicken Sticks, page 15 in her 365: No Repeats cookbook. My changes are mainly to make the dish GF.
Step 1: Make GF bread crumbs (unless you can find some in the store). I use Udi’s Whole Grain GF Bread. For this recipe, just throw 3 pieces of bread in the food processor and add about a tablespoon of Italian seasoning.
Step 2: Add to the food processor 2 cups of corn flakes, 2 T grilling seasoning (I like McCormick’s), 1 T poultry seasoning, 1 T paprika, and about 1/4 cup of oil.
Blend/process until mixture resembles fine crumbs (30-60 seconds).
Step 3: Combine about 1 cup of GF flour with a dash of salt and pepper in a medium-sized bowl. GF tip: I try not to use my expensive Jule’s flour for this recipe. Instead I use brown rice flour, I like Bob’s Red Mill, which is cheaper and it comes out the same in the end.
Step 4: Combine 3 whole eggs and a splash of milk in a small bowl.
Step 5: Coat chicken tenders in flour mixture.
Step 6: Bathe chicken in milk/egg mixture.
Step 7: Toss chicken in corn flake/bread crumb mixture, then transfer to baking sheet lined with foil.
Step 8: Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Add a little ranch dressing and enjoy!
Feel free to name this dish after your husband if he enjoys it!
Full Recipe (without pictures)
- 3 slices of GF bread
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 2 C corn flakes
- 2 T grilling seasoning
- 1 T paprika
- 1 T poultry seasoning
- 1/4 C vegetable or canola oil
- 1 C GF flour
- dash salt and pepper
- 3 whole eggs
- Splash of milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make breadcrumbs by combining bread and Italian seasoning in food processor.
- Add corn flakes, grilling seasoning, paprika, poultry seasoning, and oil. Process for about 30-60 seconds or until combined and resembling fine crumbs.
- Combine flour and salt and pepper in medium bowl.
- Combine eggs and milk in small bowl.
- Dredge chicken in flour, then milk/egg mixture, then corn flake/bread crumb mixture.
- Place on foil lined baking sheet, bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.